Ayurveda has two main objectives – one is to maintain health and the second is to cure disease. Rasayana or rejuvenation is a traditional Ayurvedic therapy to restore the body’s vitality to its fullest capacity.
Technological advancements have changed the way we work, communicate, travel or even socialize. Today, access to numerous gadgets and machines equipped with neo-electronic technology may have made life easy but has also led to numerous side-effects by its use. Fewer people have the time or patience to follow age-old traditions, which they would have inherited from their grandmother’s – recipes which was not only tasty but was fresh, healthy, a natural appetizer and was easily digested by the body. Nowadays this is replaced by fast food, irregular food pattern, restaurant food, junk food. Most of the food we consume is either in front of TV or mobile or computer. Directly or indirectly, our body has become a dump yard for toxic food.
All this has led to sluggish digestion causing improper metabolism. Our longer working hours, sedentary life style such as sitting in front of computer for longer duration, no exercise, lesser hours of rest, etc. are all known to have implications to the body. All our organs are affected by the harmful electromagnetic rays that are emitted by these gadgets. The toxins and free radicals produced by the relentless metabolic activities in the body damage the body cells resulting in wear and tear of the body leading to early aging diseases.
This sophisticated technology and progressive competitive society has led to high incidence of lifestyle disorders like hypertension, diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, stress and overweight/obesity associated with cardiovascular diseases.
While it is good to have competition and to grow with technologies, is it worth putting our health in jeopardy? Absolutely NOT! The process of aging is accelerated by improper lifestyle, food habits, and prolonged stress and strain. The ultimate goal of a living being is to stay happy with whatever we have but if we keep running behind work and overloading our-self with bundle of stress then how can one stay happy or relaxed? Is there any way that one could relax and as well continue with all the busy scheduled work?
Yes! And the answer is Ayurveda and Yoga.
Ayurveda is a holistic branch of medicine which originated and practiced in India for more than 5,000 years. It is as fresh and beneficial to humans today as it was in the ancient times. In true sense it’s more relevant and applicable in this modern time by providing a holistic approach to our daily lives. While Ayurveda aims to maintain the health of the healthy and to free a person from disease to provide health, Yoga aims to liberate us from sufferings and lead us to ultimate bliss.
Practicing Yoga and following Ayurveda’s guidelines daily will definitely help everyone lead a life free of stress and strain. To lead a healthier life today and in the long run; we simply need to sync our routine to an Ayurvedic routine. Ayurveda suggests having a routine ‘that rises with the sun and ends with sun’. Key to good health and feeling great all day long is living in tune with nature’s cycles.
In the management of lifestyle diseases, Ayurveda offers various regimens such as Dinacharya (daily regimen), Ritucharya (seasonal regimen), Panchakarma (five detoxification therapies), and Rasayana (rejuvenation) therapies. Sadvritta (ideal routines) and Aachara Rasayana (code of conduct) are important to maintain a healthy and happy psychological perspective. The comprehensive utilization of all these treatment modalities has a great effect in managing lifestyle disorders.
Practicing Yoga on a daily routine will not only keep you fit but also it helps in having a relaxed mind. Production in work will be much better if one has a relaxed mind which is free of all stress and worries. Our health and happiness is what we strive for and so it is time to jump out of our busy schedule and make time for oneself.
There are many verified wellness centers across India that offers authentic treatments, from a minimum 3-day Rejuvenation package to a 21-day complete detoxification program. Most of these wellness centers would be located in an environment that is free from all external noise and air pollution. Along with beauty of nature one can enjoy the relaxing Ayurveda therapies.
As its name indicates, Rejuvenation is a complete revitalization program that will leave you feeling younger and energized. The packages are usually customized depending on the individual requirements of the customer. Most of the wellness package will include:
- Consultation with an Ayurveda physician to know your Prakruti (body constitution) and for diagnosing your problems, if any, in order to customize the treatment and herbs/ oils that needs to be used for the treatment.
- Sattvic Diet will be offered to you at Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sattvic diet will help in restoration of the body energy. Apart from the main meals, nourishing and refreshing salads and drinks will be offered.
- Personalized Yoga and Meditation sessions will be offered. Yogasanas will be sequenced depending on your body needs. Meditation in a calm environment is like the ultimate bliss.
- A refreshing walk every morning and evening in the nature’s path will give you spiritual freshness.
The Ayurvedic treatments offered are customized and provided by therapists, under the supervision of an Ayurvedic doctor. Some treatments are done by a single therapist and some by two – in a synchronized treatment. A 3-day wellness treatment may include:
- Abhyanga and Swedana: Abhyanga can help energize the body and includes a head massage with herbal oils, that are suitable for your body type. This will provide much relief from body aches and muscle cramps. It tones up your skin by improving blood circulation, breaks down toxins from under the skin and nourishes your body. It induces sleep and gives you liberation from all the stress and worries. Abhyanga is followed by swedana or steam that opens the skin pores and helps in proper skin respiration.
- Shirodhara: An ancient Ayurvedic therapy, Shirodhara helps relieve stress and has a profound effect on one’s nervous system as it calms, relaxes and cleanses the mind and nerves. Pouring of warm oil/ liquid on the center of the forehead where “agnya chakra” is located stimulates the nervous system and creates a harmonic effect. For those suffering from insomnia or sleeplessness, Shirodhara gives a sound sleep that is most refreshing. It is a total body and mind rejuvenator. It activates the pituitary gland, regulates mood swing, improves concentration and memory and improves perception of sense organs.
- Udvarthana: It is a kind of herbal powder massage that helps in relieving the pain that is situated in deep tissues. It works across the muscles manipulating deep tissues, stimulating circulation and regenerating lymphatic flow. It is a neck to toe massage and relieves stiffness, tension, strain and tired muscles. .It naturally removes toxins from the body and increases blood flow and oxygen to the body.
- Patra Pinda Sweda: Leaves and powders of medicinal herbs are fried in medicated herbal oil and then bundled in a muslin cloth. This bundle is then warmed and applied over the body in a rhythmic manner. This massage is very useful in treating arthritis, muscular aches, inflammatory conditions etc. It is a total body stress reliever.
- Navarakizhi: A form of sweat-inducing massage treatment that is done using medicated rice boiled in milk. It is a treatment that is best for toning up your skin and it is used to improve muscle strength, rejuvenate and re-energize body.
There are many other Ayurveda treatments that may be offered to you depending on your health conditions and body needs. The above mentioned treatments are the most common treatments that are prescribed. All Ayurveda treatments are either part of Panchakarma treatment or Upakarma treatment that would help in restoring the lost energy. As you work every day most of the energy is lost due to stress and lack of rest.
It’s never too late to take a break for your own self. Only if you are healthy and relaxed, you can take care of everybody else who is dependent on you. Taking a rejuvenation package along with your companion will also help you in building a better relationship. Take a refreshing break and get rejuvenated!