Can Ayurveda help in De-addiction without any side-effects?
31st May is known as World No Tobacco Day by World Health Organization (WHO).
Excess consumption of tobacco can harm multiple internal organs and may even cause painful death. According to WHO report smoking accounts for 5 million deaths every year and is world’s 2nd most important cause of deaths. Another study says that smoking causes 90% of lung cancer, 25% CHD, 75% COPD and other peripheral vascular diseases and also numerous fatal diseases.
Most smokers have the right intentions of quitting but are not able to and the reason behind this is their inability to give up due to addiction. In some cases, it may react differently in the body upon quitting because of ill effects of nicotine. This is the reason why nurturing body is very important and here comes the role of Ayurveda.
The points mentioned above below definitely help those who wish to reduce or quit smoking without any side effects. This article will help you to know different options that would take you 1 step forward in quitting smoking and gaining a better control over your health by reducing the toxic effect of tobacco.
- Intake of adequate water – Drinking plenty of water specially stored or charged with copper is helpful in elimination of deposited toxins from the body. Increase the water intake by 1 liter in addition to the present consumption as this would help in increasing the metabolic rate and keeps a check on the weight and reduces risk of heart disease that is caused by the tobacco toxins.
- Include herbs in your diet – Turmeric, tulsi, ginger, pepper, long pepper in your diet.
- Turmeric is a proven anti cancer drug and it helps in boosting the immunity and strength of the lungs and heart. So it is a must have spice for all smokers.
- Tulsi which is an amazing herb that helps in reducing the respiratory infections such as cold, cough, lung congestion, etc which is the most common problem of smokers. Chew 2 to 3 leaves everyday and this would help in keeping the mouth fresh and at the same times reduces risk of lung infection to a certain extent.
- Ginger, pepper and long pepper (Trikatu) –It improves digestion and metabolism and helps in nourishing heart and lungs. Person suffering from acidity should increase more water in-take or have it along with buttermilk.
- Ashwagandha – It helps in strengthening and increasing immunity.
- Triphala Churna – It is rich in anti oxidants. Smokers usually suffer from constipation and triphala powder will help in reliving constipation and helps in boosting immunity.
- Chayavanaprasha – It is extremely beneficial for improving respiratory system. It boosts immunity and helps one to stay fit and delays aging process.
- Agastya Haritaki Rasayana – It is very helpful in chronic cough and cold. It has rejuvenating effects on the body and works brilliantly for asthma.
- Avoid Oily, frozen food and preserved food items – These kinds of food may worsen the respiratory health so it’s best to avoid them.
- Pranayama – Bhastrika Pranayama, Nadi shuddhi Pranayama and Om chanting will help in increasing the lung capacity. Pranayama will detoxify lungs and aids in better oxygen absorption. Practice Pranayama for 21 rounds each four times a day.
- Kriya – Neti – which is one of the cleansing technique helps in cleaning the respiratory tract. Jala neti and sutra neti both help in breathing better.
- Vegetarian diet – Sticking to vegetarian diet helps to enhance satvik guna in the mind which intern helps in increasing positivity.
- Suck on a Cinnamon stick or chew cardamom – To curtail your urge of smoking either suck on a cinnamon stick or chew cardamom. For those who don’t like the taste of these both may chew nicotine gums.
- Regular exercise – Physical activity is very important to keep the internal organs work better. Yoga is the best practice as each asana involves breathing but if one doesn’t wish to do yoga they can switch to gym, aerobics, etc too.
- Socializing – Being with friends, family members who would help you to quit smoking will be give you a lot of mental support to get rid of your addiction.
- Sweets – Sweets helps in reducing the urge of smoking. So smokers have a candy or any sweet in your pocket to chew on when you feel like smoking.
- Abhyanga – Massage with Ayurveda aromatic oil will help one to relax his mind and helps in strengthening the body too this is yet another way to deviate mind from smoking.
- Be busy – Get yourself involved in work so that one gets busy and there is no time to think of smoking.
Other treatments like Shirodhara, Shiro abhyanga also helps to relax mind and keep away from stress. One could as well seek for help with a counselor or even meet Ayurveda expert to get more information or treatment options. One could also go for complete detoxification procedure so that the toxins are removed and feels lighter and energized.
In conclusion I would like to say that life is beautiful, and one needs to understand the value of life. If stress is the reason that you smoke, then try to prioritize and don’t worry much on other issues. Smoking kills and please don’t poison yourself by smoking. “Smoking kills/ smoking is injurious to health” is a known fact to everyone who smokes is aware of the fact that their habit could hasten them towards death.